Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Two pictures

Shelley recently saw some coverage of the aftermath from the earthquakes in Haiti on CNN. While attempting to show the devastation of the new tent cities that have been formed because many of the buildings and homes have been destroyed, they caught something very unexpected. A little girl reading her Bible. When asked if she was afraid, she said no. "This gives me hope." Her world had literally been shaken to the core, and yet God's Word gives her hope and removes her fear.

Last week I went to see a friend I met in a nursing home. Bro. Friday. I have known he was a great man of faith just by the way others speak of him and treat him. When I heard he wasn't doing very well in the hospital, I was compelled to go and visit him. In our conversation, he began to retell some of the physical problems he has as a 93 year-old man. But there wasn't an ounce of complaining in him! More matter-of-factly. He spoke of what a blessing the retirement lodge had been to him. "I brought my Bible with me and hoped to read it through one more time." Then he got noticeably sadder. Tears welled up in his eyes. "I only made it to Jeremiah." His eyesight won't allow him to read anymore.

Two incredible examples to me.

Now I look at myself. Wat kind of example am I setting for Jacey and soon-to-be-here Caleb? By their own observations, what will they say my attitude toward God's Word was? More than that, what will their attitudes be? This largely depends on me. Is this attitude caught or taught? ...Yes. But it's more caught. That's the real problem with "today's kids" -- whatever generation they may be. They end up being just like their parents.

My desperate prayer for Jacey and Caleb is that they love God's Word, commit to handle it accurately, and develop a heart to obey it whatever the cost. God help me to be proud of the legacy of faith I pass on to my children.

"Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word." Psalm 119:37

1 comment: